Project Assistant—Oceans and Coasts Programme
This is a key position to promote community-based conservation through effective dissemination of knowledge and facilitation of conversations about building conscious local resource-use practices that take account of climate change and the safe operating space of the islands. This context gives you the chance to push your, and our, creativity in using knowledge as a powerful tool for change.
Specific responsibilities for this position include:
- Assisting with conceptualization of an outreach and communication strategy for the community, including assisting with developing monitoring and evaluation methodologies, designing communication interventions, workshops, writing content for outreach material etc.
- Co-facilitating workshops and meetings with the community, and implementing other forms of knowledge dissemination
- Working closely with community members (especially fishermen) to organize workshops and stakeholder meetings, and developing networks within the community
- Assisting with coordination and collaboration with various government departments and other organizations to build conservation linkages
- Assisting with ongoing research on understanding decision-making structures in Lakshadweep
- Assisting with review and implementation of ongoing conservation initiatives
- Working with other team members on any other aspects of community engagement that may be of interest to you
A little experience, a lot of excitement and a decent knowledge of Malayalam will go a long way. You will need excellent social and communication skills, and the ability to interact with a diversity of people including local communities, administrative officers and program team members in a culturally sensitive manner. More specifically, if you have some or all of the qualifications below, we are looking for you:
- A relevant post-graduate degree, and 2-4 experience in working with local communities
- Proficiency in spoken Jesseri/Malayalam is absolutely necessary, whereas fluency in written Malayalam will be a great advantage
- Previous experience in working with fisherpersons/coastal communities will be beneficial
- Experience with adult education (particularly nature education), campaigns, scientific communication etc. will be particularly useful
- Self-motivation and independence, with the ability to take initiative and leadership especially on the field
LOCATION and REMUNERATION
This position will be based in Bangalore but will involve travel and stay in Lakshadweep for up to 6-7 months of the year. Remuneration will be commensurate with the applicant’s qualifications and experience and subject to periodic/annual assessment and increments. This will be a long-term position but will be initially for a period of one year.