Scientist, Western Ghats
• PhD (2000-2007) in Zoology, Mumbai University, Mumbai. (through Bombay Natural History Society -BNHS).
• MSc. (1996-1998) in Wildlife Biology, A.V.C. College, Mayiladuthurai, Tamil Nadu.
• BSc. (1993 –1996) in Zoology from Periyar E.V.R. College, Tiruchirapalli, Tamil Nadu.
My research interest lies in applied ecological aspects such as the conservation biology of endangered bird species, habitat monitoring, and on-ground conservation action. I am equally interested in nature education and outreach.
Endangered species research and conservation - I have been involved in research and conservation of the critically endangered Jerdon’s Courser since 2000. For this project (2000-2008) I worked with a team of wildlife biologists from BNHS, RSPB, UK, Universities of Cambridge & Reading, UK.
Rainforest Research Team - Since 2008 I am a part of the NCF rainforest research team at Anamalai hills, southern Western Ghats. I have been involved in conducting conservation education programs and carrying out bird surveys in this landscape.
Outreach and Citizen Science - Since 2016 I have been involved in coordinating and conducting seasonwatch program in Tamil Nadu. I am a part of Tamil Birders Network. Through this network I organise bird surveys and other activities related to birding.
Language and Ecology - I have been working towards popularizing the importance of nature writing in local languages through workshops. I blog in Tamil at http://uyiri.wordpress.com/.
Other interests - Birding, philately, numismatics, photography and dancing (mainly Dappanguthu) are some my hobbies. I am a Wikipedian. I contribute images to Wikimedia commons (See here). Most of my images are categorized under an open initiative WikiProject Nature and Conservation in India.
Saving the endangered Jerdon's Courser
Jerdon's Courser Recovery Programme
- Journal Article2018Seasonal variation in wildlife roadkills in plantations and tropical rainforest in the Anamalai Hills, Western Ghats, IndiaCurrent Science. 114(3): 619-626.
- Book2017Birds of Tamil Nadu - pocket guide
- Popular Article2016When and where to list birds in Tamil Nadu and Puducherry?June 2016. eBird Newsletter for Birders of Tamil Nadu & Puducherry.
- Popular Article2016Sing me a folktaleThe Hindu. In school, 26th October.
Jeganathan, P. (2016).Sing me a folktale. The Hindu. In school, 26th October. http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp-in-school/article9268433.ece
- Popular Article2016Musings on Madras MuseumMadras Musing Newspaper. Vol. XXVI No. 14, November 1-15.
- Popular Article2016தன்னை அறியும் யானைகளின் துயரை அறிவோம். (On threats to Asian elephants)The Hindu Tamil Diwali Malar.
Jeganathan, P. (2016). Thannai Ariyum Yanaigalin Thuyarai Arivom (On threats to Asian elephants). The Hindu Tamil Diwali Malar. The Hindu Magazine-Diwali Special issue–November 2016. Pp.222-230. Link here.
- Popular Article2016Birds that call their namesThe Hindu in School, 5 October
- Book2016Thattangal, Usithattangal: arimuga kaiyedu. (A field guide on dragonflies & damselflies in Tamil)Cre-A. Chennai.Pp1-224
தட்டான்கள், ஊசித்தட்டான்கள்: அறிமுகக் கையேடு. க்ரியா வெளியீடு. சென்னை 1-244. Link here
- Report2016Awareness and coexistence measures to conserve endangered lion-tailed macaques in the Valparai landscape, Western Ghats.Nature Conservation Foundation, Mysore.
- Popular Article2015சரியாக நடக்கின்றனவா வனஉயிரின வார விழாக்கள். (Comments on 2015 Tiruppur Wildlife Week celebration)The Hindu Tamil News Daily, Online edition. 9th October 2015.